Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We're ready...Come on, Caroline!

It's been 38 weeks now. The nursery is ready, the thank you notes for shower gifts are written and mailed, the house is clean, the freezer is packed with frozen dishes and casseroles and there are take-out menus printed, our bags are packed, we're pre-registered at the hospital and ready to go...Now let's get this show on the road!

Apparently my cervix is thinned (or effaced) as of last week's visit. Tomorrow we find out if we're dilated at all. I'm still having Braxton-Hicks contractions, but those are just what is termed "false labor" (what a tease). Supposedly as every woman has told me, "you'll know when it's real." OK, I believe you! I just wish I knew when it was going to happen. I am an impatient person! But at the same time, I don't want to be induced and I don't want to have a C-section if I can avoid it. Some people think I'm crazy, but I really want to try to make this birthing process as natural as possible. We'll see how well my plan pans out. I realize certain circumstances demand drugs, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Emma Elizabeth, Caroline's first cousin, was born last week on Tuesday, June 17 at 3:45 a.m. She weighed in at a whopping 9 lb. 12 oz.! She is a beautiful, healthy little chunkster whom I have dubbed "Emma Jo" because she looks like her daddy, Jason's brother Joe. Jason said it's weird that his little brother is a father before him. It's funny, because for the first time Joe is experiencing something before Jason. Unlike other life experiences like getting your license, having a girlfriend, going to college, getting married...Jason has to defer to Joe on this one!
And just down the street, Caroline's future friend, Lily, was born on Sunday, June 15. We can't wait to watch the girls grow up together. Lily has two older brothers, Will, 4, and Drew, 2, who I'm sure will protect both Lily and Caroline.

Jason and I took time last weekend to have a couple "dates." On Friday, we went to a new restaurant called Meridian. The food was delicious, but probably way more carbs than we were used to. The highlight was the smoked corn puree soup, if you go! On Saturday, we went to Jason's cousin's wedding in Marion. It was a gorgeous wedding, I just wish I didn't look like such a freak so I could've danced!

Hopefully the next blog post will feature "Sweet Caroline." We are so excited to meet her. I have been looking at our baby pictures trying to get a mental image of what she will look like. She moves a lot when you play music, and she also seems to really like our pastor at church, Steve Rennick's voice. What will she be? A dancer, singer or musician? A teacher, doctor or politician? Hmmm...








No comments: