Monday, June 30, 2008

Final touches on the nursery


Over the weekend, Jason and I put the final touches on the nursery. I should clarify - Jason put the final touches on the nursery while I supervised. I just draw the pretty pictures of my vision, buy stuff then he puts it together and actually brings things to life!

The only thing missing is a black rocking chair that my brother and his fiancee, Katie, are loaning us. It was her grandmother's antique chair, so it will fit nicely with the nostalgic ambience of the rest of the nursery.

If you didn't already know the background to the items in our nursery created for our wild child, here is a run-down:
Chest of drawers: Larry & Kathy's first piece of furniture purchased after they were married; stained in cherry and replaced hardware to modernize
Toy chest: handcrafted by my Uncle Paul, with poplar logs cut from my parents' property; was Celeste's toy box as a kid
Diaper changing table: antique from Celeste's maternal grandmother's estate
Portrait above chest of drawers: photo of Carole ("Nana") as a teenager sitting on porch holding a kitten

I am really pleased with the way the nursery turned out, especially considering we spent less than $1,000 total on the whole room. The biggest ticket items were the crib (which converts from a toddler bed all the way to a head/foot board for a double), crib comforter set, rug, crown moulding and chair rail.

Now we just need a baby to come and truly bring it to life!

1 comment: