Monday, July 7, 2008

Is it time for prom yet?


Imagine getting ready for prom over and over and over again. You buy the dress, do your hair, shave your legs...and then your date doesn't show up. Such is my life as of the last two weeks!

I've cleaned the house from top to bottom so many times. I had a manicure and pedicure. I've read Happiest Baby on the Block and the important parts of Nursing Mother's Companion. We started her scrapbook. The closet is jam packed with clothes up to 24 months. I've stocked and then restocked the fridge and freezer in anticipation of Caroline's arrival to no avail. She is still neatly tucked inside my belly. But it's OK, I'm not mad atcha, little girl! Just come out when you're done baking.

False alarm
Last night we packed the car with our bags along with skeptical intrigue thinking my water may have broken. I had liquid gushing down my leg, but I had also just come from the pool. The doctors would rather be safe than sorry, so we checked in. It seemed so anticlimactic and surreal - completely unlike Hollywood's portrayal of the birthing process. We walked into the quiet, serene hospital as if we were checking into a bed and breakfast for the night. Everything was so low-key, which was nice because I was not convinced that this was the real deal anyway.

As it turns out, my contractions were 4 minutes apart (which I still couldn't feel). And although water was coming out every time I had a contraction, my sac still had not broken. Yes - how exciting to have incontinence at the ripe age of 30! It was funny, if I leaned forward and pushed on my stomach in the right manner, it was like squeezing a sponge. Liquid just poured out of me that was completely beyond my control.

My blood pressure was also a little high, at least the top number. Historically throughout my pregnancy it's been nearly textbook: 110/72 at almost every appointment. But this time it was 131/72, then it was 145/72. However, the doctor didn't seem concerned since it was only the top number and I didn't have other symptoms of preeclampsia such as blurred vision, edema, stomach pain, headache...so we headed home.

So you may wonder - when do I get dressed up again, have my hair did, shave, stock the fridge, scour the house and pack the bags? Well, if Miss Caroline doesn't make her debut on her own prior to Thursday, we are checking in at the Women's Hospital B&B to begin preparations Thursday night for a Friday morning induction on July 11.

Several people still seem completely baffled that I want to try to do this thing natural. We'll see how it goes. Sometimes when you are induced with Pitocin you can't go natural because the contractions are intensified. So, we'll see what happens. Maybe Sweet Caroline will decide she's ready before Friday and we can go natural as previously planned? Gotta keep an open mind and simply pray that it goes smooth and she arrives healthy. That is the most important thing!

No comments: